Return

Community Histories
Other Community Names of Possible Irish Connection

Annidale:Settlement, 2 mi. SW of Highfield and 3 mi. SE of Salmon Creek, on Johnston/ Springfield parish boundary: Johnston Parish, Queens County: first called Boydsdale or Boyds Settlement: in 1866 Boyds Settlement was a farming community with about 15 resident families including Hugh, John and William Boyd: community name changed in 1879: PO Annidale 1879-1947: in 1898 Annidale was a station on the Central Railway, with 1 post office and a population of 35: today it is a dispersed community.

Barnesville:Settlement, 5 mi. SW of Upham, on road to Upper Loch Lomond: Upham Parish, Kings County: John Barnes settled here about 1820: first called South Stream: in 1871 South Stream and surrounding district had a population of 200: community name was changed to honour Thomas G. Barnes the first postmaster: PO Barnesville 1854-1957: in 1866 Barnesville was a farming community with about 53 families: by 1866 Barnesville included Droylan Settlement which was a farming community with approximately 5 resident families, Erin Go Brah which was a farming community with about 10 families and Primrose Settlement which was a farming community with about 10 families: in 1871 Barnesville had a population of 150: in 1898 it had 1 post office, 2 stores, 2 churches and a population of 200: today Barnesville is a dispersed community.

Barryville:Settlement, 4 mi. SW of New Jersey, on road to Bartibog Bridge: Alnwick Parish, Northumberland County: Edward Barry was a settler: PO 1904-1965 with James Barry as first postmaster: today Barryville is a dispersed community.

Calhoun:Settlement, 4 mi. N of McGinley’s Corner, on the road to Meadow Brook: Dorchester Parish, Westmorland County: PO 1879-1958 with T.B. Calhoun as first postmaster: in 1898 Calhoun was a station on the Intercolonial Railway and a farming and milling settlement with 1 post office, 1 store, 1 steam sawmill and a population of 150: today Calhoun is a dispersed community.

Cormierville:Settlement on Northumberland Strait, 2 mi. NE of Breau-Village, on coast road to Saint-Thomas-de-Kent: Dundas Parish, Kent County: Jacques Cormier settled about 1786: it was first called Gailey: PO Gailey 1873-1892: it was renamed in 1892: PO Cormierville 1892-1955: in 1898 it was a farming and fishing settlement with 1 post office, 2 stores, lobster factories and a population of 75: today Cormierville is a dispersed community.

Costigan:Settlement, 2 mi. NE of Upper California, on road to Limestone: Grand Falls Parish, Victoria County: probably named for John Costigan (1835-1916), MP for Victoria County 1867-1907: PO 1883-1917: in 1898 Costigan was a farming settle- ment with 1 post office and a population of 50: today it is a dispersed community.

Curryville:Settlement, 2 mi. SE of Demoiselle Creek: Hopewell Parish, Albert County: Daniel Curry was a settler in 1830: PO 1854-1959: in 1866 Curryville was a farming settlement with approximately 58 families, including those of Daniel and John Curry: (Daniel Curry – Date of Entry 1830 – Methodist – 1851 Irish Census)

Darby Gillans:See Gillans Corner (Burton Parish, Sunbury County)

Gailey:See Cormierville (Dundas Parish, Kent County)

Gillans Corner: Former settlement situated where the highway intersects the Burton- Blissville-Gagetown boundary, 7 mi. SE of Geary: Burton Parish, Sunbury County: formerly called Darby Gillans for a local settler and post house operator about 1826.

Dempsey Settlement: Former community, 5 mi. W of Pointe-Verte: Beresford Parish, Gloucester County: John, William and Catherine Dempsey were settlers: it became a locality.

Filomarco Settlement: See Philmunro (Waterford Parish, Kings County)

Fitzpatrick: Former settlement on Bay du Vin River, 2 mi. S of Auburnville: Hardwicke Parish, Northumberland County: PO 1895-1913 with John Fitzpatrick as postmaster: in 1898 Fitzpatrick was a farming and lumbering settlement with 1 post office and a population of 75: Fitzpatrick became part of Auburnville.

Foster’s Croft: See Philmunro (Waterford Parish, Kings County)

Gillice Brook: Flows N into Little Sevogle River, Named for Donald Gillice, settler in 1812.

Gleason Road or Gleason Settlement: Community, 3 mi. N of Scotch Ridge: Saint James Parish, Charlotte County: Michael and Martin Gleason were settlers: PO 1900-1928: today Gleason Road is a dispersed community. ( Martin is in the 1851 Irish Census for NB)

Gregan: Settlement on Miramichi Bay, 2 mi. W of Hardwicke, on the road to Point Gardiner: Hardwicke Parish, Northumberland County: PO 1915-1958 with Robert Gregan as the first postmaster: today Gregan is a dispersed community.

Haggertys Cove: Settlement, 1 mi. E of New River Beach, on road to Lepreau: Lepreau Parish, Charlotte County: today Haggertys Cove is a dispersed community.

Hardingville: Settlement, 5 mi. S of Upham and 4 mi. SE of Barnesville, on the road to Barnesville: Saint Martins Parish, Saint John County: first called Ryan Settlement for John, Thomas and Michael Ryan who were settlers: renamed when the post office was created: PO Hardingville 1878-1909 with V. Harding as the first postmaster: in 1898 Hardingville was a farming and lumbering settlement with 1 post office, 1 store, 2 sawmills, 1 church and a population of 150: today it is a dispersed community.

Hartin Settlement: Community, 4 mi. W of Canterbury: Canterbury Parish, York County: was named for Thomas Hartin, an Anglican clergyman who encouraged set- tlement in 1865: in 1866 Hartin Settlement was a farming community with about 26 families: PO 1910-1914: today Hartin Settlement is a dispersed community.

Keatings Corner: Settlement, 3 mi. W of Public Landing: Westfield Parish, Kings County: PO 1885-1889 with John Keatings as postmaster: today Keatings Corner is a dispersed community.

McCulloughs Pond: W of Kerr Lake and N of St. Andrews. Settled by McCulloughs C.1839.

McGinley or McGinleys Corner: Settlement, 1 mi. SE of La Hêtrière, on the road to Memramcook: Dorchester Parish, Westmorland County: PO 1879-1899: in 1898 it was a farming and lumbering community with 1 post office, 2 stores, 1 sawmill, 1 grist mill, 1 wood working factory and a population of about 600: McGinley became part of La Hêtrière, then Memramcook.

McGowans Corner: Settlement on the E side of Saint John River, 2 mi. E of Sheffield: Sheffield Parish, Sunbury County: was named for a McGowan who ran a tavern at the wharf: Thomas McGowan was a lumberman in 1860’s: also called Bridges Corner: PO Tilley’s Landing 1854-c1880: in 1866 Tilley’s Landing was a farming community with approximately 6 resident families: today McGowans Corner is a locality.

McGrath Corner: Settlement, 1 mi. SE of Knoxford, on road to Centreville: Wicklow Parish, Carleton County: today McGrath Corner is a dispersed community.

McGraw Brook: Settlement, 11 mi. W of Grainfield, on road to Plaster Rock: Blissfield Parish, Northumberland County: today McGraw Brook is a dispersed community.

McKeaghan: Settlement, 2 mi. W of Connell and 2 mi. NE of Williamstown: Wilmot Parish, Carleton County: today McKeaghan is a dispersed community.

McKeens Corner: Former settlement on E side of Saint John River, 3 mi. SE of Keswick Ridge and 1 mi. N of the Kingsclear Indian Reserve #5: Bright Parish, York County: named for Alexander McKeen, a lumberman in late 1800’s: became part of Keswick Ridge.

McManus: Former station, 3 mi. N of Memramcook, on Canadian National Railway line to Calhoun Station: Dorchester Parish, Westmorland County.

McManus Siding: Settlement and railway siding, 3 mi. NE of Grand Falls, on Canadian National Railway line to Drummond Station: Saint-André Parish, Madawaska County and Drummond Parish, Victoria County: named by CNR for Frank McManus: today McManus Siding is a dispersed community.

McNallys: Settlement on the E side of Saint John River, opposite Kingsclear, 1 mi. S of Lower Line Queensbury: Queensbury Parish, York County: PO McNallys Ferry 1912-1914 with A.C. McNally as postmaster: McNallys Ferry operated to 1967: formerly called Mazeralls Ferry: McNallys became part of Lower Line Queensbury.

McQuade: Settlement on McQuade Brook, 3 mi. NW of Irishtown: Moncton Parish, Westmorland County: PO 1887-1932 with James McQuade as first postmaster: in 1898 McQuade was a farming and lumbering settlement with 1 post office and a population of 150: today it is a dispersed community.

Meehans or Meenans Corner: Community on Kennebecasis River, 2 mi. NE of Quispamsis and 2 mi. E of Gondola Point: Rothesay Parish, Kings County: became part of Quispamsis.

Morrissy: Settlement, 3 mi. NW of Newcastle, on the road to Trout Brook: Newcastle Parish, Northumberland County.

Morrissy: Former settlement, 3 mi. NE of Fairisle, on the road to Tabusintac: Alnwick Parish, Northumberland County: possibly named for John Morrissy, MLA: PO 1927-1957: became part of Stymiest Road.

Murphy Corner: Settlement, 2 mi. NE of Johnville: Kent Parish, Carleton County: today Murphy Corner is a dispersed community.

Murphy Settlement: Community, 1 mi. NE of South Saint-Norbert: Saint Mary Parish, Kent County: today Murphy Settlement is a dispersed community.

Nelson-Miramichi: Settlement on S side of Miramichi River, 1 mi. S of Chatham Head: Nelson Parish and Chatham Parish, Northumberland County: PO Nelson 1842-1868: in 1871 Nelson had a population of 600: in 1898 Nelson was a station on the Canada Eastern Railway and a farming, lumbering and fishing community with 8 stores, 1 hotel, 2 sawmills, 1 tannery, 1 carding mill, 1 shook factory, 1 brick kiln, 3 churches and a population of 600: included settlement of South Nelson: PO 1853-1968: in 1866 South Nelson was a farming and lumbering community with 33 resident families: it included the community of South Nelson Road: PO South Nelson Road 1883-1947: PO Nelson-Miramichi from 1968: included the community of Nowlanville, 5 mi. SE of Newcastle where Patrick, James and Michael Nowlan were early settlers: Nelson -Miramichi was incorporated as a village in 1967: now is part of the city of Miramichi.

Nowlanville: Settlement, 4 mi. N of Barnaby River, on road to Nelson-Miramichi: Nelson Parish, Northumberland County: Patrick, James and Michael Nowlan were settlers: in 1866 Nowlanville was a farming community with about 15 families: it became part of Nelson-Miramichi and today it is within the city of Miramichi.

Philmunro: Former settlement, 11 mi. E of Sussex: Waterford Parish, Kings County: John, James and Archibald Munro were settlers about 1831: included Foster’s Croft: PO 1884-1908:was named for Sir George E. Foster (1847-1931), MP and senator: in 1898 Foster’s Croft was a farming settlement with 1 post office, 1 church and a population of 60. (NB Irish Census – 1851 – John and Archibald Monroe – Date of Entry 1838 – From Co. Fermanagh)

Pokiok Settlement: Community, 3 mi. NW of Lake George, on road to Prince William: Prince William Parish, York County: PO Lower Pokiok 1878-1913: in 1898 it was a settlement with 1 post office, 1 church and a population of 100: today it is a dispersed community.

Ratter Corner: Settlement, 4 mi. S of Apohaqui and 4 mi. N of Southfield: Sussex Parish, Kings County: PO Ratter’s Corner 1855-1915 with John Ratter as postmaster: in 1866 "Ratter’s Corner" was a farming community with about 40 families including that of John Ratter: in 1871 it had a population of 150: in 1898 it had 1 post office, 1 store and a population of 110: Ratter Corner is a dispersed community.

Semiwagan Ridge: Settlement, 3 mi. SW of Barnaby River: Nelson Parish, Northumberland County: settled about 1832: in 1866 Semiwagan Ridge was a farming and lumbering settlement with about 11 families: PO 1891-1961: in 1898 Semiwagan Ridge had 1 post office and a population of 200: today it is a dispersed community.