St. Almo: Settlement, 2 mi. N of Odell, on the road to Wapske: Gordon Parish, Albert County: was formerly called Castleton Settlement, Campbell Settlement and Ireland: included settlement of Black Rock: PO Black Rock 1884-1894: PO St. Almo 1894-1940: in 1904 it was a community with 1 post office and a population of 40: today St. Almo is a dispersed community.
St. Bridget’s: Former settlement, near Northfield (now Minto): Sheffield Parish, Sunbury County and Canning Parish, Queens County: in 1866 St. Bridget’s was a farming community with approximately 6 resident families.
Saint-Grégoire: Settlement on South West Branch of Nicholas River, 2 mi. SW of Saint-François-de-Kent and 1 mi. E of McKees Mills: Wellington Parish, Kent County: first called Dohertys Mills: PO Dohertys Mills 1857-1892 with William Doherty postmaster: in 1871 Doherty’s Mills had a population of 200: community renamed in 1892: PO St-Grégoire 1892-1955: in 1898 Saint-Grégoire was a farming and lumbering settlement with 1 post office, 3 stores, 1 sawmill, 1 grist mill, 1 church and a population of 200: today it is a dispersed community.
Saint-Jacques: Settlement on the Madawaska River, 5 mi. NW of Edmundston: Saint-Jacques Parish, Madawaska County: was settled about 1834 by Irish, later occupied by French settlers: first called Silverstream: PO 1870-1902: in 1871 it had a population of 150: in 1898 Silverstream was a flag station on Temiscouata Railway and a community with 1 post office, 1 store, 1 sawmill, 1 church and a population of 200: the settlement was renamed in 1902: PO St-Jacques from 1902: Saint-Jacques was incorporated as a village in 1966.
Saint John: City at mouth of Saint John River: Saint John County: first settled in 1630’s by French, then in 1760’s by New Englanders: chiefly settled by Loyalists in 1783: the main part was called Parr Town for John Parr (1725-1791), the governor of NS 1782-1791: the west part was named Carleton for Sir Guy Carleton, Lord Dorchester (1724-1808): renamed Saint John by Ward Chipman in May 1785: received a royal charter in 1786 making it the first incorporated city in Canada: PO from 1783: in 1871 it was the fourth largest city in the Dominion and had a population of 45,000: in 1898 Saint John was a port of entry, a centre of lumber manufacture and export, a centre where several railways connected: there were cotton mills, rolling mills, iron and brass foundries, wire fence works, engine and boiler works, nail factories, machine shops, lumber mills, door and sash factories, axe factories, furniture factories, lead and paint works, tannery, shoe factories, corn mills, pork packing operations, breweries, vinegar factories, several fish packing plants, soap factories, public buildings and a population of 50,000: in 1889 it was extended to include city of Portland, in 1966 to include Lancaster city and parish, and part of Simonds Parish: it included community of Marsh Bridge: PO Marsh Bridge 1902-1948: also included community of Duck Cove: PO Duck Cove 1912-1944, 3 mi. SW of city centre in Lancaster Parish: see also Millidgeville, Randolph and Red Head.
Saint Patrick Parish: Charlotte County: established 1786: it included Dumbarton Parish until 1856. St. Patrick’s Lake is in St. Patrick Parish, with land beside it granted to Patrick Birney (Irish – Date of Entry into NB – 1825).
St. Margarets: Settlement, 5 mi. NW of Laketon, on the road to Redmondville: Glenelg Parish, Northumberland County: was named for the church there: settled about 1830: included community of Upper Bay du Vin: PO 1853-1969: in 1866 Upper Bay du Vin was a farming, fishing and lumbering settlement with about 50 families: in 1871 it had a population of 100: in 1898 it had 1 post office, 1 sawmill, 1 church and a population of 100: PO St. Margarets 1938-1969: today it is a dispersed community.
Salmon Beach: Settlement on Nepisiguit Bay, 6 mi. NE of Bathurst, on road to Janeville: Bathurst Parish, Gloucester County: settled about 1820 by Irish immigrants: PO 1861-1913: in 1866 Salmon Beach was a fishing and farming settlement with approximately 65 families including Abraham, Henry R., James, Robert Sr. and Robert Buttimer Jr.: in 1871 it had a population of 150: in 1898 Salmon Beach was a flag station on Caraquet and Gulf Shore Railway and had 1 post office, 1 church and a population of 150: it also included Glen Anglin, 3 mi. NE of Salmon Beach: PO 1874-1913: in 1898 Glen Anglin was a fishing and farming settlement on Caraquet and Gulf Shore Railway with 1 post office, 1 sawmill, salmon fishery and a population of 200: also included the settlements of Prospect Hill, Strawberry Plain, and Mount Pleasant: today.
Sand Brook: Settlement on the Blissville/Clarendon border, 4 mi. W of Wirrel: Blissville Parish, Sunbury County: included the settlement of Boyne: PO Boyne 1900-1909: also included settlement of Pleasington: PO Pleasington 1909-1913: today Sand Brook is a dispersed community.
Seaview: Settlement on Bay of Fundy, 2 mi. SW of Lorneville on the coast road to Black Beach: Lancaster Parish, Saint John County: it was formerly called Irishtown: in 1866 Irishtown was a fishing community with approximately 25 families: also included the settlement of Pisarinco West: PO Pisarinco West 1893-1902: PO Seaview 1903-1913: Seaview is now within Saint John, 10 mi. SW of city centre.
Shanklin: Settlement, 2 mi. NE of Bains Corner: Saint Martins Parish, Saint John County: Samuel, Henry and James Shanklin settled there about 1830: PO 1869-1943 with Samuel J. Shanklin as the first postmaster: in 1871 it had a population of 100: in 1898 Shanklin was a farming and lumbering settlement with 1 post office, 1 sawmill, 1 hall and a population of 75: also was known as Patterson Settlement: today Shanklin is a dispersed community.
Shannon: Settlement, 1 mi. SE of Belyeas Cove, on the road to Henderson Settlement: Wickham Parish, Queens County: also called Shanahan Settlement and named for John Shanahan, a settler from Northern Ireland about 1829: name was changed to Shannon when post office opened: PO 1877-1969: in 1898 Shannon was a farming settlement with 1 post office, 1 store, 1 church and a population of 100: today it is a dispersed community.
Shannon Brook: Flows E into Queens Brook, 5 mi. E of Wirral, named for Hugh Shannon, settler c1847.
Shannonvale: Settlement, 2 mi. W of Eel River Crossing: Dalhousie Parish, Restigouche County: settled about 1832 by Irish immigrants: name was inspired by River Shannon, longest in Eire: PO 1871-1956, 2 mi. W in Dundee: in 1898 Shannonvale was a farming and a lumbering settlement with a population of 50: it became part of Dundee, then Eel River Crossing.
Shinnickburn: Settlement on the Cains River, 6 mi. S of Upper Blackville: Blackville Parish, Northumberland County: Patrick Shinnick was a settler: PO 1879-1907 and 1909-1927 with William Shinnick as first postmaster: in 1898 Shinnickburn was a farming and lumbering settlement with 1 post office, 1 church and a population of 100: it formerly was called Horse Shoe Settlement: today Shinnickburn is a locality.
Smiths Creek: Settlement, 4 mi. NE of Sussex, on the road to Mount Pisgah: Studholm Parish, Kings County: PO 1853-1967: in 1866 Smiths Creek was a farming community with about 60 families: in 1871 it had a population of 200: in 1898 Smiths Creek had 1 post office and a population of 120: it also included Keohan: PO 1878-1914: in 1898 Keohan was a farming community with 1 post office, 1 church and a population of 80: it included Farmingdale: PO 1885-1897: in 1898 Farmingdale was a farming settlement with 1 store, 1 church and a population of 50: included the settlement of Ryans Corner: today Smiths Creek is a dispersed community.
South Clones: Settlement above River George, 11 mi. N of Welsford and 11 mi. E of Central Blissville: Petersville Parish, Queens County: PO 1882-1952: in 1898 Clones South was a farming settlement with 1 post office, 1 store, 1 church and a population of 70: today South Clones is within CFB Gagetown.
Sullivan Creek: Flows N into Mactaquac Lake, Saint John River.
Summer Hill: Settlement, 7 mi. W of Central Hampstead, at intersection of Gagetown PetersvilleHampstead boundary lines: Petersville Parish and Gagetown Parish, Queens County: was named for a place in County Antrim, Northern Ireland: PO 1862-1953: in 1866 Summer Hill was a farming community with approximately 43 resident families: in 1871 it had a population of 100: in 1898 Summer Hill had 1 post office, 1 store, 1 church and a population of 125: now within CFB Gagetown.
Sweeneyville: Settlement, 3 mi. NW of Village-des-Cormier and 3 mi. NE of Saint-Paul: Saint-Paul Parish, Kent County: named for John Sweeny (1821-1901), Bishop of Saint John 1860-1901, who in 1864 secured land grants for settlers: PO Sweenyville 1879-1931: PO Sweeneyville 1931-1955: in 1898 it was a farming settlement with 1 post office and a population of 100: today Sweeneyville is a dispersed community.