Martin Hale, born c1798 in County Waterford, Ireland, died 29 Jun 1861. He married, c1828, Huldah Dickinson, born 8 Oct 1811 in Carleton County, NB, the daughter of Harding Dickinson. she died 19 Oct 1883. Martin came from Ballyinn, Ireland in 1815 and settled at Newburg, Carleton County.
1) William N. Hale born 3 Oct 1829, d. 15 Feb 1891, m. 10 Jan 1856 Esther Tedlie
2) Elizabeth Hale b. 14 Oct 1831, d. 17 Sep 1887, married 15 Apr 1852 John Tedlie
3) John Hale b. 3 Apr 1833, died young
4) Sarah Ann Hale born 22 Apr 1836, d. 3 Aug 1899, m. Robert A. Dickinson
5) George S. Hale b. 3 Feb 1839, d. 20 Feb 1903, m. Jennie R. –
6) Mary Jane Hale b. 29 Dec 1842, d. 1924, m. 26 Jun 1862 Zopher Davis Phillips
7) Frederick Harding Hale b. 8 Dec 1844, d. 16 Jun 1912, m. 20 Jun 1869 Rhoda Loantha McGee d/o George McGee, d. 14 Jun 1870: had one son: married (2nd) 17 Jun 1873 Emma E. Boyer b. 1853 d/o Moses Boyer of Victoria, Carleton County, died 30 Oct 1889: had two sons and three daughters: m. (3rd) 2 Nov 1891 Angelina N. Faulkner d/o J. Faulkner of Kings County: had no issue
8) John Alonzo Hale born 4 Mar 1849, died 1909, married 6 Jul 1895 Susanne Rosborough
9) Jeremiah Judson Hale born 29 Sep 1851, died 29 Jul 1933, m. Emily Jane Smith.
PANB:MC1/Hale, 11 pages.
See PANB:MC1156 Graves Papers – Frederick Harding Hale 2 pages.
Martin Hale (or, properly, McHale) was born in Ballina, Co. Mayo, Ireland. The family appears to have removed to Co. Cork, and he eventually emigrated to Canada with his 9 brothers, date of sailing and ship name unknown. No record has been found of residence in Co. Waterford, although Waterford was likely their port of embarkation.
Martin married Huldah, daughter of Arden Dickinson, a Loyalist from Dutchess County, New York. Brother Denis (or Dennis) Hale married Huldah’s sister, Maria. No person by the name of "Harding" Dickinson existed in the Province.
Martin’s youngest son, Jeremiah Judson, had 3 children by his first wife, Emily Jane, daughter of William Dibblee Smith: Isabel Hilda Hale, Charles Hale, and Warren Phillips Hale. I am grandson of the last named. There was no issue by his second marriage."
– R. Wallace Hale