Lesson Plan Two
Grade Level: Middle School
Ask the students to research the history of the Irish language.
Students are encouraged to use the internet research skills they have been developing to find sources which can provide answers to the questions below:
1. How many Celtic languages are there considered to be?
2. When one uses the term “Gaelic” does it refer only one Celtic language?
3. What are the differences between the alphabet in the English language and the alphabet of the Irish language?
4. How many dialects of the Irish language are there considered to be?
5. What are two ways of saying “How are you?” in Irish and in what Irish dialect is each used?
Encourage the students to use proper internet research techniques including citation of sources used, authors, dates, etc.