Robert Merritt, born on 10 Mar 1731 at Rye, Westchester County, NY, the son of Thomas and Mary (Underhill) Merritt, died Dec 1802. He married Elizabeth Robinson, the daughter of Patrick Robinson from Londonderry, Ireland, They first settled at Hampstead, Long Island, NY where their 6 children were born. In 1783 they left NY as Loyalists and first settled at Shelbourne, NS, then at Hampstead, NB.
1) Caleb Merritt b. 1763, d. 3 Aug 1821, m. Mary Perley: settled in Saint John
2) Annie Merritt m. John Golding
3) John Merritt married Effie Palmer
4) Gilbert Merritt b. 16 Nov 1765, m. Phoebe Birdsell
5) Robert Merritt born 14 Sep 1771, d. 27 Feb 1865
6) Mary Merritt m. Philip Heustis
7) Israel Merritt m. Mary Peters.
PANB:MC1/Merritt, 40 pages.
For data on Caleb Merritt see PANB:MC80/127 William F. Bunting’s Freemasonry in New Brunswick, page 219.