James Murray, born 14 Aug 1814 in Scotland, the son of William C. Murray and Alexanderina Hyslop, died 20 Apr 1901. He came with his parents from Dumfriesshire, Scotland to NB in 1819. He married, in 1837, Sarah Currie, born c1818 in County Donegal, Ireland who came to NB with her parents in the 1820’s, died 1897. The family settled at Newcastle, Northumberland County.
They had thirteen children. Mentioned were:
1) Alexander Murray b. c1839
2) David Murray b. c1841
3) William Murray born c1842: moved to Mass.
4) James Murray c1846
5) Sarah Murray
6) Ann Murray who married (1st) Mr. Mappin, m. (2nd) Dr. Ingraham B. Freeman.
PANB:MC80/2184 W.D. Hamilton’s Dictionary of Miramichi Biography.
John Murray, born 22 Nov 1720 in Ireland, of Scottish ancestry, died 30 Aug 1794. He came to America and settled in Rutland, MA in 1744. He married (1st), Elizabeth McClanathan and had nine children.
They came to NB in 1784 as Loyalists. They first settled in Maugerville, then at Fredericton, York County.
children of first marriage:
1) Isabella Murray born 10 Sep 1745, d. 24 Feb 1807, m. 1770 Daniel Bliss b. 1739, d. 1805: settled near Fredericton
2) Elizabeth Murray born 28 Aug 1749, died 1782, m. 27 Oct 1768 Joshua Upham born 1741, died 1808: had three sons and four daughter
3) Daniel Murray b. 19 Oct 1751, d. 24 Feb 1832: returned to USA
4) Samuel Murray born 13 Apr 1756, died 1781 Charlestown, SC
5) John Murray Jr. b. 6 Jul 1758: first settled in York County, then returned to USA
6) Robert Murray b. 25 Feb 1760, d. 1786 in Saint John, NB
7) Lucretia Murray b. 22 Jun 1762
8) Deborah Murray b. 29 Sep 1771, d. 15 Jun 1831, m. William Hazen Jr. b. 1768, d. 1816
9) Thomas Murray b. 1776, d. 3 May 1797, m. 1 Jan 1797 Sarah Lowell Hazen born 1775 d/o William Hazen, d. 1851
10) Martha Murray m. William Wanton of Saint John.
PANB:MC1156 Graves Papers: John Murray, 1 page.
See also PANB:MC80/22 Isabel Louise Hill’s Some Loyalists and Others pages 45-50.
See PANB:MC80/145 Louise Hill’s Fredericton, New Brunswick, British North America, page 192.
Robert Murray, born 1816 at Annan, Scotland, the son of John Murray, died 23 Jul 1897. He came to Pictou, NS about 1825 with his widowed mother. He came to NB in 1838, settled at Chatham, Northumberland County and married Jane Wright from Belfast, Ireland, born 1820, the daughter of William Wright who came to NB in 1824. She died 9 Feb 1899.
1) Joseph Herbert Murray born 1844, d. 1865
2) Elizabeth J. Murray m. John England of Chatham
3) John Murray born 1849, d. 18 Jul 1873
4) Henrietta Murray married William Johnston of Chatham, NB
5) Robert Murray born 17 Jul 1855 at Chatham, d. 8 Jul 1926, m. 11 Jun 1889 Jane Simpson d/o Simon Simpson of Neguac, NB and had one son and two daughters
6) Catherine Murray died at age 7 years
7) Margaret Amanda Murray died at age 5.
PANB:MC85 Quayle Family Papers.
See also PANB:MC1156 Graves Papers: Robert Murray, 1 page.
See PANB: MC80/338 I. Allen Jack’s Biographical Review, pages 60-61.